I got thinking about where different types of songs can be streamed for free & how that influences where I spend time listening online. I present to you a bastardised Venn Diagram for where free streaming music catalogue lives in 2012.
- YouTube has everything. EVERYTHING. Even some obscure dubplate my 16 year old self thought I had the only copy of. But in a UI optimised for video rather than music consumption
- Overall my listening habits (in order of hours/month):
1. SoundCloud/Bandcamp (new artists)
2. Spotify/Rdio/etc (epic catalogue, big new releases)
3. DatPiff (hip hop mixtapes)
4. HypeM/Mixcloud (curated new stuff)
5. YouTube (anything not available in the above)
- the more excited I am by new artists (e.g. right now Swag Rap), the more time I spend on Soundcloud/Bandcamp/DatPiff/Mixcloud. When there’s no new scene I’m into I retreat into catalogue on Spotify.